Prestige for REALTORS® in 1941

1 of 4 ads created by the Philadelphia Real Estate Board in 1941.

1 of 4 ads created by the Philadelphia Real Estate Board in 1941.

In the summer of 1941 the Philadelphia Real Estate Board began a new campaign promoting the word REALTOR®. One of the goals was “to create a better and wider public understanding of the significance of this term,” wrote Board Executive Vice-President John F. McClaren in the August 1941 issue of the National Real Estate Journal.


The effort included changing the Board’s seal by incorporating the word “Realtors” in it.  Members were given decals of the new logo for the doors and windows of their offices.  On days of the Board’s weekly luncheon a very large flag was hung from the headquarters, in Philadelphia blue and gold and bearing the new seal.  A REALTOR® lapel button was designed as well.  The small oval blue and gold button read “Phila. Real Estate Board” with the word “Realtor” in the center.
Sets of four advertisements were printed, and fifty sets distributed to every active member of the board at no cost.  Each ad extolled the value of consulting a REALTOR, and were in a handy size to give to clients and prospects.
According to McClaren, the campaign “proved popular with the members of the Board… but, still more important, a better understanding has been created publicly in reference to the meaning of the term and its significance in real estate transactions, a fact that has been reflected quite extensively through persons desiring to transact real estate business and who have been careful to check to determine whether the broker with whom they are doing the business is a REALTOR®.”
Comments
  1. Thanks for this blog entry. Appreciate it.

ADD YOUR COMMENT